Saturday, January 09, 2010

Warmer weather hopefully

I just came in from outside to warm up my feet. It was warmer today but still not really warm so Andrew and I were out in the shop. Yesterday we were out there too and started the wood stove that Andrew and Jonathan put in. That warmed up the shop pretty well. It is made of a 30 gallon oil drum with legs and a door that my Grandpa welded together. I think is supposed to get warmer for the next few days. I hope so!

A few days ago I came in from milking in the morning and I couldn't feel the ends of my fingers! It wasn't seriously frozen but just cold so I let them warm up by the wood stove.

We've been doing a little more practicing music together lately, getting ready for a few places we will be playing at in February.

Mom has been making cheese today to use up some of the leftover milk that is in the refrigerator. After making one type of cheese (we call it pizza cheese because it melts) she uses the whey and boils it down and makes another type of cheese called mysost. It is a brown cheese that can be made with cows milk or goats milk. There are a lot of Norwegian people around here that like it because it was originated in Norway and the only place to buy it is mail order from Norway! I guess they charge a dollar an ounce for it if you buy it. I like it on toast for breakfast with a little raspberry jam on top of it and it goes down real well with a bowl of fresh yogurt!

Peter

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Peter!
It was warmer today too. Can't wait till spring, but I am really enjoying the winter weather too.
We make mysost too with the whey and with the whey from our goat's milk we make gjetost and also ricotta with both goat and cow milk.
We like to make mozzarella to put on pizza.
If your mom wants to see some of the cheeses we make and a couple of the recipes (including the mozzarella recipe), she can go to my sister's blog. Here is the link to all the posts labeled "cheese":

http://marillahillbilly.blogspot.com/search/label/cheese

~Enoch

Peter said...

Thanks Enoch,
This afternoon Mom made a few batches of feta cheese with the recipe she got off your sister's blog. She tried making it once before but the recipe was a little different and it didn't turn out. She wants to try mozzarella too sometime.

Peter