Saturday, June 30, 2007

My new knife

Here is pictures of my latest project. I got the idea from an old Backwoods Home magazine article.

I cut the blade from an old circular saw blade that wasn't being used. I was going to rivet the handle together but we didn't have a drill bit that could drill through the metal. I ended up using JB Weld epoxy to glue the handle to the blade.

It didn't turn out very showy but for me it was fine! The handle is made from some ash wood that was cut from our property. I used the router to make the handle smooth around the corners. I finished the handle by rubbing linseed oil on it.
I scratched my name at the base of the blade with a screw tip.
Here's an overall picture of the completed knife. It is aproxamatly 7 1/4 inches long from tip to handle.

AND... Here's the sheath! It was made from some leather that we had in the old house. I used our leather working tools and made the design. I thought it turned out pretty good.

Here is a full picture of the sheath.
Here is it on me!

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Thursday, June 7

Yesterday Dad and Jonathan left for Iowa to a homeschool conference. It has been raining here some. This morning Andrew and I did the chores that Jonathan and I usualy do. Milk the goats, feed the cats, feed the dogs, feed the ducks, move the goats, water the goats, move the chickens, get the eggs, feed the chickens, water the chickens, move the turkeys, feed the turkeys, get the eggs from the turkeys, water the turkeys, feed the pigs, water the pigs, water the chicks, feed the chicks, move the chicks, and stake out a goat. I think when we do the chores we bring down the hill about 4-5 buckets of water (usualy a little over half full so they are easyer to bring down to the barn). This morning the cover to our new chicken tractor blew off the hinges. The hinges were only attached to the cover with the short small screws that they came with so I put in some better screws.